Submitting to Quiltcon

At the very last minute I submitted some quilts for Quiltcon 2017. I was a recipient of a Michael Miller challenge bundle, so I was obliged to get my act together and send it in. I finished it on the weekend and then forgot the bit where you take photos…. When I got to the form, it said it was $30USD for up to three entries. I didn’t see the point in just sending on one (especially since it’s not my most favourite work) so I sent in three.

I got very angry at one point. I had filled out all the details, measured the quilts, etc and then left my computer to go to work and then take photos of the newest quilt. By the time I came back I had to start all. over. again. With insanely slow WiFi. There’s no save option, be warned! Have all your photos ready and information to hand before you start!

30503031284_aff8580061_o

Here is my Luxe challenge piece for the Michael Miller category, it’s called Sound and Vision. My inspiration was the fabric itself and then somehow that progressed to light and sound waves. I took a bit of creative license when it came to the quilting, the light is bending in totally unnatural ways 😀 It’s small, at just 36″ square and is made from the two grey Luxe fabrics I received, plus yellow and teal Michael Miller solids. I did not have fun quilting this, the walking foot always applyies too much pressure and it wants to wrinkle the fabric constantly, even with the presser foot pressure reduced right down. Also the way the guide attaches to the machine means I can’t actually use it along with the walking foot without too many attachments on one screw and it all falling apart. Next time- normal foot straight line quilting with the guide!

FAL 2016

This is also a Finish Along Finish, and the last I expect I will do this quarter.

My next submissions are not really in the Quiltcon design vein so I’m not expecting much in terms of acceptance (on any of the three to be fair). I sent in Chandelier for Modern Traditionalism or whatever it is called…

… and also Shine Bright in the Piecing category.

We will see what happens!

1. Posted November 30, 2016 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Love your 3 entries!! Good luck! I’ve entered a couple for the first time. I have the same thought as you of We’ll see what happens.

2. Posted December 4, 2016 at 10:28 am | Permalink

It’s fab that you entered, good luck! My finances are a bit pushed now i’m living alone but i wonder if i could save enough for us to meet up at quiltcon 2018?

3. Posted December 4, 2016 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

I was blocked by some quirk of fate from logging in, so I had that panic to deal with as well, but I also entered a quilt or two. I did the same as you last time–entering three because I had paid for three–but your quilts may yet go the distance and get in!

I think their system of paying for three also encourages excess entries (which they then always comment on–how many entries they had and how hard they worked), which actually might create more work for them. But it’s their party, so it’s their rules.

Good luck with your quilts!

4. Posted December 7, 2016 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I agree — if you’re going to spend the $30, might as well enter three quilts! Your challenge quilt does look the most “QuiltCon” to me, but we both may be pleasantly surprised. I think a lot of different factors play into whether a quilt makes the cut, and I’m sure the show organizers look for variety. Good luck!

5. Posted December 9, 2016 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Good luck!

6. Posted January 5, 2017 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Bother having to apply again. Great idea to find inspiration in your fabric. They all look great. Congratulations on the finish and thank you for participating in the 2016FAL, on behalf of all the hosts!