Scraptastic Tuesday

It just wouldn’t be another Scraptastic Tuesday without an update on my scrappy log cabin. I now have 25 blocks made! I’ve decided to do these quilt as you go, in four sections to make it easier to quilt. I had hoped to send it off for Longarming (to Trudi) but given the current moving situation, I’ve had to go back to the original DIY plan.

These are my latest blocks.

I’ve also decided to change the design from a chevron/zigzag to a “Barn Raising” layout. As this is symmetrical, I’ve increased the number of blocks I need to 64 so I can make it 8×8 blocks which translates to 96″ square. I was going to make it asymmetrical but I think the OCD will kick in and I won’t like it as much. It’s not like I don’t have enough scraps. Each quadrant will be 16 blocks, so I’ve made a start on the first one. I’m not sure how I am going to quilt it yet, perhaps denser in the white areas for textural contrast.

In other news, I’ve started another new (not scrappy) project. My process is to make the HSTs and flying geese in the evenings and then sit and trim on the sofa, then piece into blocks before work. I can do two a day this way. 17 more to go!

The fabric is Chandelier by Studio M- they’re lovely metallics and so I’m making a Christmas ornament themed quilt with them!

Linking up to Scraptastic Tuesday…

Scraptastic Tuesday

1. Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Such colorful log scraps. I like the way you vary the widths and look forward to seeing more of them.

2. Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Great progress and love the barn raising layout! Also will use more scraps which is always a good thing. Thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

3. Posted August 11, 2015 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I am always surprised at how much I love log cabin blocks when I see them. I think you quilt is going to be fantastic. I also love those giant baubles.

4. Lori Smanski
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

your barn raising quilt is going to be lovely. cant wait to see it finished. have fun.

5. Posted August 11, 2015 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Loving your ornaments. Not seen metallic quilting cottons before. You get so much done plus work plus moving!

6. Auntiepatch
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I love your log cabin! Beautiful!

7. Posted August 12, 2015 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Your log cabin blocks look great and I love the way you’re integrating the chandelier blocks into your daily schedule 🙂

8. Posted August 13, 2015 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

I love these log cabin blocks! I’m working on a log cabin quilt too, it’s so fun and relaxing to me. 🙂 Beautiful work!

9. Posted August 22, 2015 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

The log cabin blocks look fabulous!