Sorting the stash

I think I’ve mentioned many times that I organise my stash by colour. I like to have my fabrics on display then I can see what I have and nothing gets forgotten about.

Plus I keep solids separate. I’ve been deviating from this a bit recently though and I’m not sure if it’s right for me. For example I have a section of bear fabrics and a small section of my favourite Charley Harper prints waiting for me to do something with them. I’ve stuck these on cards.

But I’ve also been getting some FQ bundles, and sometimes I use some of the prints and the rest go into stash like these Best Day Ever prints I’ve got left over from Shine Bright.

Sometimes though they languish on my shelves in a pile. I don’t mind so much when they’re Moda bundles tied up with tape.

I just don’t know what I should do with these more “unofficial” bundles. Currently I have three- a Bo Bunny set, a Mini Pearl Bracelets set (minus white) and some of the latest Cotton + Steel prints which I may or may not use together. Should I put them on cards too and get some kind of divider system or leave them folded?

What is your system for bundles? Do you mix with the rest of your stash or do you neatly store them somehow?

1. Posted July 24, 2015 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I keep my fat quarters separate in a ‘fat quarter’ bag,,, I don’t have any bundles of them. And my fabric,,, kept in 18l Really Useful boxes,, 6 of ’em!

2. Posted July 24, 2015 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

i have some bundles seperate cos i want to use them together, but these days i tend only to buy a few prints from a collection rather than the bundle. so they tend to go to stash colour coded.

3. Posted July 24, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I have this problem too. As I have been packing I am coming to the conclusion that moving everything, or almost everything to the colour sorted system will mean I use it all more. I have some stacks that have been sitting for a long time, mostly forgotten now.

4. Jen B
    Posted July 24, 2015 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

If you want to make you own bundles, you could fold and tie them up with the ribbons from some (used) bought bundles if you save them. It would keep them together and help them look a little better on your shelves.

5. Posted July 26, 2015 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I have no wisdom for you! I have a full fq bundle of Hope Valley *still* waiting for “just the right project.” It has been years! There’s also a small bundle of red and green flannels and a fat 8th bundle of Oh Deer! waiting. Also for years!! I don’t buy bundles now except for a purpose coz they do languish. Maybe I need to just split them …… but the Hope Valley……it’s so pretty all together…

6. Posted July 26, 2015 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

i file by type: solids, kona solids, dots and stripes, pictures and fonts, creams and LV, with groups suitable for a project (hungry caterpillar plus appropriate spray time etc), and probably others I haven’t thought of!

7. Posted July 27, 2015 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

You’re far more organised than me! The bundles look all pretty together but I think the question is are you going to use them all together? If so would stick and if not add them to the colour system as that way things get used more (or if change mind pull out later).
    Yeah I think I might need to listen to myself sometimes 😉