My Hadley quilt plan became a large cushion. It just felt right not to make too many of these, and the fact I got to stash most of the fabrics again had absolutely nothing to do with it of course…
The background is Kona Natural I think, and it uses a mixture of techniques. Firstly, there is improv foundation piecing going on with the feature fabrics, appliquéd turned circles for the middles and the background is done with the reverse appliqué/ facings/ portholes technique to ensure no raw edges at all in this design, which is how I like it. I hate raw edges.
I made piping. It’s never my favourite thing to make so I put it off for a bit but it came together with no problems so I think I’m getting better at it. It’s also a Denyse Schmidt print but it’s a Chicopee one. I’m looking forward to Denyse’s New Bedford line to see if I like those just as much. I wasn’t too taken with the whole collection of any of Ansonia, Franklin or Shelburne Falls, but I have a few selected prints.
The background is just improv pieced from 5″ wide pieces of what was left over. I stuck a flap and metal zip in too.
Here’s the deets.
Size – 24″ square
Number of blocks – four
Time to make– about four hours?
Fabric – Hadley by Denyse Schmidt, Kona Natural
Backing Fabric – Hadley by Denyse Schmidt
Binding Fabric – A plaid from Chicopee by Denyse Schmidt
Threads – My amazing £3 cone of white poly from Boyes that has lasted three projects so far with no issues
Batting – 80/20 Soft and Elegant
Quilting- “organic” spiral, off-centre, starting in the middle of one of the doughnuts.
This is my second finish this quarter (Q2) for the finish along which means I’ve achieved half. I didn’t think I’d do that well to be honest! Gearing up for Q3 and one of the two project will roll over, there will be two- possibly three- re-entries and a new addition to the list. That’s not really a spoiler, it’s a predictable list!