Back doing what I love best

All my sewing commitments are done- unless you count #dogmini2015 which I’m not starting for a month yet- something that hasn’t happened in maybe over a year! I have made stuff for magazines and am now kind of backlogged (erm, four projects, three articles…) so I can kick back and play for a while. OH is at work this weekend so I have the house to myself and other than a bit of cleaning and computer work, no distractions, dogs permitting.

I decided I needed to declutter. I actually enjoy tidying my sewing room, I find it very comforting to sew in a tidy environment though I’m not a very tidy person usually, and the process itself as a means to reach nirvana is always worthwhile. Plus I get to look at pretty fabric while I tidy! However, I also need to start getting on top of exactly what I have in this room in anticipation for moving. It’s this reason I’m on sort-of a fabric diet (read that as there are three fabrics I really want right now but I will have to clear out some of my stash before I allow myself to buy any of them). So much so I’ve run out of black and white solids- unheard of. I’m working around it.

Anyway, a binbag later and it looks like this! The design wall is lint rollered, the fabric is pressed and put away, the bin is empty, it’s a harmonious place to sew now. I’ve cleared out the drawers too but you can’t obviously tell…

Not that it was really bad before…

Anyway I’ve looked at my bulging carrier bag of string scraps again and I don’t really want to be taking that with me either so frankly, it’s time I made some more log cabin blocks, even if they don’t become a top yet, just to get them out of the way. I’m going to aim to make two at a time, once a week in order to reach my target of 49.

So far I have nine- these are the three new ones. But I have also separated out the white/LV/cream contract strips as so much time was being wasted digging around for those when the actual selection is random and organic. The carrier bag has been changed to something a little more attractive and the white strips are located in the same box, just not in the bag.

I am now multi-projecting. I love doing this too. Along with the log cabins I now have Hadley Doughnuts going on, plus my new pattern is making progress.

I have a shirt to start soon too, the fabric is washed and ironed so it may be cutting time before too long!

1. Posted May 31, 2015 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

You are very organized now. I should be doing something similar.

2. Karen S
    Posted May 31, 2015 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Hi, Kerry! I just started following you, so I didn’t know what Hadley donuts were. I googled them and found several different donut shops in Hadley, MA, so, a little confused I decided you either made donuts or were eating a lot of them–“I have a lot of Hadley donuts going on”! When I added “quilts” to “Hadley donuts” google presented me with your blog about a quilt you were working on earlier this year. I really wish this post was about eating donuts, though! 🙂

3. Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Your room is looking lovely! Happy fresh start!

4. Posted June 1, 2015 at 2:28 am | Permalink

Your clean-up of your room is inspiring, and as soon as I get off jury duty–bam, I’m hitting it. Right. But I agree that there is something so lovely about a spiffed up room, as it does make it easier to sew. I loved seeing your strings going into Log Cabin blocks: brilliant! I have two bags of strings leftover from my pineapple quilt that would be great as log cabin blocks. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Posted June 1, 2015 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Oh your space is so beautifully tidy and organised! I wish mine was… and I can never find the energy to sort properly 🙂 That might be why I’m strugging and last minute.

6. Cindy
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

You have such a beautiful place to sew…under all of your stuff 🙂 Love that you lint rolled the design board – that’s hilarious! Your shelves of fabric are so beautiful!

7. Posted June 2, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I could do with lint rolling my design wall and my mat needs it too. I did spend a few hours yesterday on our back holiday going through my fabric and tidying up – I really enjoyed it and love colour co-ordinating my stash! Must be a quilter thing – definitely don’t do that with clothes.

8. Posted June 4, 2015 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

It’s fun to see your sewing room. Well done for decluttering. I’m like you that I find tidying my room fun, it feels productive and you know it’ll make working on projects so much easier!