Horseplay cushion

So after showing you a tiny picture of the cushion in Quilt Now, Sara thankfully reminded me that I hadn’t blogged about it at all (I’m so used to magazines where I feel I can reveal all before publication, then I don’t forget)! This is my large feature cushion called Horseplay (named by OH). I made this last year, but I’ll list it as one of this year’s finishes in my gallery.

I was asked by Jan on Instagram if it’s hard to make and it really isn’t. Essentially it’s stacking fabrics and stitching, cutting them open again and fusing on petal shapes. It makes for nice secondary patterns though and it would be tempting to revisit this again and accentuate it a bit more.

The back…

The fabric used is a layer cake of Mustang- or half of one to be exact. This is a great project for using up left over 10″ squares too. I made mine with piped binding, but you don’t have to if you choose to make one, it was a tad fiddly!

STATS
Size – 24″
Number of blocks – 36
Time to make– 6-7 hours
Fabric – Mustang by Melody Miller for Cotton and Steel and Kona Navy
Backing Fabric – Gracie Girl numbers by Riley Blake (I scored and got this for £3 a yard at Fabric Guild)
Binding/Piping Fabric – Bonnie and Camille Happy-Go-Lucky Skip in Navy
Threads – Coats Moon piecing, Madeira something-or-other for quilting
Batting – 80/20 Soft and Elegant offcut
Quilting- Following the curves of the petal shapes, pic of the reverse below…

1. Michele Timms
    Posted January 14, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Wow! That is a pretty cushion cover!! Although you say that it’s easy to make, I would find it to be a worthy challenge for myself! Beautiful design!

2. Posted January 14, 2015 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Its fabulous Kerry, it does look complicated but fun. I have quilt now and will be reading more about this project!

3. Posted January 14, 2015 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Oh wow this is very impressive! I must go open my copy of the magazine …

4. Posted January 14, 2015 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I love this cushion, definitely the best project in the mag!

5. Posted January 14, 2015 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

This is a clever design. I’ll look out for that magazine 🙂

6. Posted January 14, 2015 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Fun patterns! I can’t bring myself to hack up my horsies though 😉

7. Posted January 15, 2015 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Lovely to see it in full detail.

8. Posted January 17, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I love that cushion!

9. Cindy
    Posted January 18, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Kerry, the design of that pattern is just amazing. well done, you, for getting it published too 🙂

10. Posted January 18, 2015 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Nice to see more of this! Lovely pattern and I have it earmarked for a gift soon 🙂 Plus the back is lovely!