Festive bear time

Merry Christmas everyone! I gifted the bear quilt to OH today!

imageHere’s some photos I took earlier.

The original photo by Stefano Unterthiner

Stefano-Unterthiner-photography-bear

The plan drawing…

And some finished pics on the living room wall!

I’ve managed to disguise where the-idiot-pup bit a bloody hole in it whilst I was sewing on the sleeve (as you may have seen on Instagram) with a spot of bleach, three washes and creative quilting, but I’m not sure yet if I will need to add appliqué before it goes in the Quilt and Stitch Village show. Good job he’s cute. The binding is my usual invisible binding since I rarely use anything else these days.

STATS
Size – approx. 46″ wide x 38″ tall from memory (today’s not the day to get the tape measure out)- quite a bit smaller than I aimed for, not sure how that happened.
Number of blocks – N/A Machine appliqué with freezer paper turned edges
Time to make– 14 hours
Fabric – A mix of scraps plus Klona white off the bolt and dark greens donated to me by Ruth and Aimee.
Backing Fabric – Half a single duvet cover from Ikea
Binding Fabric – Same as above
Threads – Gutermann for the greens and browns, plus a variegated brown Aurifil and white is Coats Moon.
Batting – 80/20 Soft and Elegant
Quilting- Realistic texture-y stuff

Last finish for 2015? Probably, but who knows….

By the way don’t forget to link up your top 5 sewing goals for next year by 31st December. Only one person has so far so the winner is currently guaranteed! Sorry, but comments don’t count as a link up but if you can post a picture somewhere (if you don’t have a blog- though blogs are still best for linking up) I think it takes links from anywhere social media-wise now.

1. Posted December 25, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Merry Christmas! Your bear is splendid, you have a great eye for recreating the photos in a quilt. I love all the quilting on it too.

2. Posted December 25, 2014 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

This quilt is brilliant! Great job! Well done for fixing the hole too. I wouldn’t have noticed if you hadn’t circled it.
    Wishing you happy holidays!

3. Posted December 25, 2014 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

How would you link up a picture of a goal? I guess your goal would have to do with UFOs then, and not just plans. I try never to write down goals… life gets in the way of plans.
    Love your bear in the first picture, but close up it loses the contrast… Love the way you fixed the chew. I wouldn’t do anything more to it… Maybe a raw edge snowflake – white on white – there.
    Merry Christmas Hugs

4. Lynne McL
    Posted December 25, 2014 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Kerry- AMAZING!!!! So love it. Merry Christmas you to and your family (even Hank, the quit eating dog).

Lynne

5. Posted December 26, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Ohh that is amazing! Well done and for fixing Hank’s accident 🙂

6. Posted December 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

did he love it?! What was his reaction?! How on earth did you manage to keep it a secret working on it?!

7. Posted December 26, 2014 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

I love this so hard. You have such a fabulous way with pictures and appliqué. I must really have a crack at this technique in 2015 (although I’m not convinced my brain works this way). Love it and I’m so glad you were able to patch it. Can’t wait to see what other amazing things you do in 2015!

8. Posted December 27, 2014 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Looks fab K, great finish, well done!

9. Posted December 28, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Looks great and the quilted bear seems to have lost some of the scariness of the photo bear.

10. Posted December 28, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

It looks amazing! This is such a cool technique. Did he like it?

11. Posted December 29, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

That came out great in the end!

12. Posted December 31, 2014 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

He’s magnificent!!!

13. Posted January 6, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I love this – really like the drawing and plan you made and have bookmarked this to come back to again and again for inspiration!