I caved

I have been trying to stick to 200 pieces of fabric at any one time for so long but it clearly wasn’t working. I have been doing this by only owning 200 comic cards, which I used to store anything from a FQ upwards on two bookcase shelves. Thing is, for well over a year I’ve had a basket of fabrics waiting for cards to come free and as they have been put on the shelves, new purchases have been made and the basket hasn’t got any less full.

So I’ve caved and bought another 100 cards and cleared some shelf space. Now there’s more breathing space for existing fabrics so they will get less crumpled and it will be more appealing to put them back on the shelves without my arm muscles getting a workout. Plus I plan to bring fabric back with me when we go away so I can now see where the “gaps” in my stash are… 😉

In fact, I’ve had a bit of a general sort out of late. All of the other non-sewing craft supplies have been sold or donated to others to allow me to move my scraps out of my scrap drawer and get rid of the drawers blocking the window entirely…

This set of drawers now holds my scraps by colour instead of too-small drawer organisers.

The cupboards are now free to hold WIPs, finished items etc and so my bookcase not only can hold more fabric and stuff, but it looks prettier too! The cutting area can be accessed at the sides now since moving the little drawers not used for scrap, which has been useful already.

The school desk has been cleared out and my wadding and misc fabrics live in there now. Next job is to try and find a solution to my too-thin-design-wall problem- I’m hoping I can grab a couple of metres of waste foamex from the skip at work and get it to butt up against the corner.

Most importantly though, my clock is on the wall after years on the floor!

Next job is to prep templates and hand sewing for the three flights coming up soon- it will be for my partner in the IG mini quilt swap….

1. Posted September 22, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

great job! i love getting a nosey at sewing spaces 🙂

2. Posted September 22, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I’m very impressed by how beautifully organised everything is 🙂

3. Posted September 22, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I have stash envy now. really like your wall clock and cabinet for scraps especially!

4. Posted September 22, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

and much appreciated were the donations – thank you! It looks great now, how long until random crap ends up all over the floor? I think 300 boards is a much better limit than 200!

5. Posted September 22, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Wow, want to come and tidy up here next 😉 Hope all goes well with the wedding!

6. Posted September 22, 2014 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Nicely organised and by colour too! 🙂 definite envy of your space. How long will it be before the cards get filled…

7. Posted September 23, 2014 at 9:32 am | Permalink

What a great peek into your sewing space! I love the cutting area esp – such a happy place to work. Gorgeous light (super curtains!) and the white wall makes it all so clean and fresh. I’d love to stitch in such a place.

8. Posted September 30, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Beatiful Kerry
    May i ask what the minimum size is that you put on the cards?

9. Posted September 30, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

IGNORE my last comment – just seen that you put on anything above a FQ! x

10. Posted September 30, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink