Sewvivor – PennyDog Patchwork – Kerry Wilkinson

You warned me not to, you told me I had enough on with work, a crazy puppy, going to get married at the end of September, my block of the month schedule and various other writing commitments, but I’m stubborn, and that kind of made me want to do it more. I’ve been yes, no, yes, no for about a week, and changed my mind twice today already, so lets just do this.

This is my audition for Sewvivor 2014!

***

It’s been a difficult choice: which one project do I audition with? My latest project is almost always my favourite (not true of my last project, however). I make quilts mostly, but to a lesser extent I make bags and sometimes clothes too if I can face the cutting and tailors tacks. My favourite quilt ever I think is my Hoots Mon quilt, a big smily moose face that I made for this year’s Quilt and Stitch Village show, it’s just daft and I love it, but I’m thinking you will probably prefer something using less browns and oranges, so how about this, Fryed Pixels, my quilt for the inaugural show last year? This quilt was started at the very end of 2012.

I’m not sure how famous Stephen Fry is outside of the UK, but if you don’t know him, he’s an absolute national treasure, I don’t think it’s possible to not like him. He’s an actor, comedian, author, thinker and philanthropist.

I think it’s safe to say I like to go my own way when it comes to designing for shows. I think my goal is to make the quilt that everyone talks about afterwards, though I’ve only really just thought about that now, but it seems to be true. Also, sometimes quilting takes itself too seriously, at shows especially, so it’s always fun to upset the apple cart a little. Shows here in the UK are getting a bit more relaxed now though, and contemporary quilting is starting to have recognised categories and specialist exhibits of its own.

Here is the original blog post, and the stats for this quilt, which aren’t on the original post as I wrote it before I started regularly making note…

STATS
Size – 44″ x 55″
Number of blocks – n/a- but there are over 2000 1″ squares!
Time to piece – 24 hours
Time to quilt – 3 hours
Fabric –  Some mixed solids, but I sneaked a batik in there. Unidentified patterns plus a couple of Jenean Morrison’s.
Backing Fabric – Pie Basket from Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt
Binding Fabric – none, pillow case binding.
Threads – White Aurifil throughout.
Batting – 80/20 Soft and Elegant.
Quilting- Dogwood rose pattern on home machine using squares as a guide.

I will be watching the competition with interest even if I go no further; the other auditions are amazingly good (there’s a pieced dress for goodness sake)! If you’re interested to know more, I recommend you check out the #sewvivor tag on Instagram!

1. Joyce Mosby
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

This is amazing! Yes, some of us in the US are aware of Stephen Fry. My sons and I have watched several things with him in it. My great great great grand dad came from Leicestershire in the 1850′s. The Mellors went to the US. going to your part of England is on my bucket list but on a teacher’s salary I have doubts that it will happen. You do very nice work and I enjoy reading your blog.

2. Posted July 17, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Stephen Fry is pretty awesome! Love how this all came together! It’s also looks nice and snuggly. Best, Kate

3. Posted July 17, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

i’ve always loved seeing these different patchwork face quilts.
    i can’t say i know who it is of, but it looks great!
    best of luck to you in the auditions

4. Posted July 17, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Way to go! Best of luck in Sewvivor!

5. Posted July 17, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Best of luck Kerry! I debated it but decided I probably need a few more makes under my belt and got quite a few other commitments in the pipeline already (not to mention three kids at home over the summer hols!!!!!) x

6. Posted July 17, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Good luck! I’d send you any spare energy I could find, but, you know, I’d probably drain you ;)

7. Ella
    Posted July 18, 2014 at 2:15 am | Permalink

Did you piece it in a marathon of 24 hours? It’s so cool!

8. Posted July 18, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Best of luck! Great quilt – big fan of QI as well – maybe you could make an Alan Davies to go with this one?

9. Posted July 19, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Great quilt! And I love Stephen Fry – we do know him in Australia! lol

10. Posted July 19, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I wish you the best of luck, this is a wonderful entry.

11. Posted July 20, 2014 at 7:30 am | Permalink

You definitely are mad!!! Good luck with this super quilty face. I just love Stephen Fry. Clever, thoughtful man. Hope the wedding plans are steaming ahead too.

12. Posted July 22, 2014 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Lady, you’re crazy, but good luck! I’ll be cheering you on

13. Lisa S.
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 1:31 am | Permalink

I love Stephen Fry! He’s known as a great character actor here in the States. I most recently saw him as the British Prime Minister on this later version of “24: Die Another Day” with Keifer Sutherland. This quilt is AMAZING! There is no doubt whatsoever who it is. I was thinking it might be a relative at first and thought, boy he resembles Stephen Fry. I wonder if they’re related. Lo and behold it’s the man himself. I could never complete such an undertaking and I commend you. Does he know about this quilty tribute? I bet he would love it! Best of luck with the rest of the contest!!

One Trackback

1. […] is made by Kerry Wilkinson from PennyDog Patchwork. I love to see quilts that I simply do not have the patience to make, this pixel quilt would so try […]