I’m not sure I like this quilt still but it has been improved since the top finish. I think the face looks wonky? I took off some excess in the end and pieced a back with a rainbow effect. Cindy suggested if I didn’t like it maybe I should add some colour to define the lightning bolt a bit more, so I used some tulle so the patterns underneath would still just about show through. I think does improve it. Ah well, it’s finished, and I like the back so I may use this quilt upside down.
The quilting is a Leah Day design called Matrix and is black Aurifil (mostly) and bottom line thread. This was the project I was struggling over, but after I snip some of the loose threads all should now be OK for the Festival of Quilts. Not sure the clientele will “get” this though!
Size – 72″ x 80″
Number of blocks – 36x 12″ (plus a couple of extra rows)
Time to piece – 10 hours including applique
Time to quilt – 4 hours
Fabric – Scraps, Kona black and tulle from eBay
Backing Fabric – Ikea print plus misc scraps
Binding Fabric – Same Ikea print, using facings technique.
Threads – Aurifil for piecing (white) plus black for quilting with ecru The Bottom Line in the bobbin
Batting – 80/20 Soft and Elegant.
And of course there was a spectator…
Sneaking in with a last minute finish along entry from the Q2 list in bonus week!