Something fishy!

In less than a week I made this fish bowl mini quilt- it’s 26″ square and uses the reverse applique/portholes/ faced edges technique of applique.

Here’s the back… it’s improv with a piece of Munki Munki Heather Ross as the starting point.

Some of these fabrics were from my stash, others were from other people who knew I was making this quilt and some were from Spoonflower a while ago. Tropical and generic fish were used on occasion as goldfish are so hard to find!

STATS
Size – 26″ x 26″
Number of blocks – 9
Time to piece – 3 hours tops.
Time to quilt – 1 hour including machine binding time
Fabric – All sorts!
Backing Fabric – All sorts again, all from stash though.
Binding Fabric – Black Klona by machine. Back is a bit messy so I need more practice.
Threads – White Aurifil for piecing and quilting. Black Coats moon for binding.
Batting – 80/20 Soft and Elegant scraps, fused together with batting tape.
Quilting- A wavy stitch- one that’s already a program on my machine which made it nice and easy- first time trying this too!

Also before I forget, I got my results back from the Quilt and Stitch Village.Last year I had two comments but only one this year. It’s a bit insipid (“Great use of colours and fabric”) but I’ll take it- and yey for no “satisfactory”s. Next year I WILL get an excellent tick for something, it’s my goal!

1. Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:19 am | Permalink

That’s lovely Kerry! It looks amazing and especially love that bottom left bowl.
    Well done on the comments/ratings too least it’s going in the right direction. Next year will be your year 🙂

2. Posted May 12, 2014 at 9:34 am | Permalink

That’s great on the comments. Just entering my first quilt into a non judged show and I’m nervous enough! Really like the goldfish mini – I’ve not tried the reverse applique yet but it’s really good idea for this!

3. Posted May 12, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Was that for your moose?? Not gushing enough by half!
    And look you did a start and finish too

4. Posted May 12, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

The wave quilting is PERFECT. Absolutely brilliant mini. It’s a really cute idea 🙂

5. Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Fab finish, well done and good feedback, fingers crossed for an excellent next year!

6. Catrin
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

I’d love to meet these judges.

Love the fishies x

7. Flying Blind
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 10:09 am | Permalink

OMG you put ‘the’ gold fish on the back!!!
    Well done on not getting a ‘WTF were you thinking’ from the judges!

8. Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

that’s brilliant! Would you believe I hadn’t realised you’d put them in goldfish bowls?!? Well done on not being adequate!

9. Posted May 20, 2014 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

I love the little fish…gold and otherwise. How old do you think the judges are….double your age?

10. Posted August 28, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Is this the one that was puublished in Popular patchwork? I’ve looked for my copy to get the instructions but cant find it. (make the porthole by adding a piece of calico on front, cutting a hole through both and pushing the calico to the back? I just cant remember the finer details!)