WIP Wednesday: Heading into Quarter 2

Three Finishes in quarter 1 out of six possibles ain’t bad eh? I did work on the other three though, I was a good girl, I just didn’t actually finish them. So here’s what I want to have done by the end of June (starting with the new stuff)…

My current obsession, the postage stamp quilt. I made the 30 blocks I wanted to and then decided to increase it by another row of 5, plus 14 half blocks down each vertical, making it effectively 42 blocks. I have replaced the 5 duplicates which means I am completely out of 2 1/2″ squares again with 8 blocks to go, so I need 288 more squares. The postman has them though so don’t worry I’m not putting out a call for help again, they are actually on their way. Once that’s done I will need to do the applique over the top- but I haven’t told you who that is yet have I (well one person knows)…? I’m going to ask you to guess when I’ve made the appliqué. This will be my entry for the Festival of Quilts this year.

I made this dress from Bike Path last week using a pattern that was free in a copy of Sew about four years ago. The skirt part fits great on my hips (pockets are too far away from my hands though?!) but the bodice is too big because the arm holes are baggy. Not sure why this keeps happening, maybe I have a dodgy tape measure?! SO for this to be finished I need to stop grumbling and take it in, including the lining, urgghh.

Next up, I’ve not made any more progress on my sort-of-lone-star since these appliqué blocks. This will be scrappy too since I only seem to be making scrappy quilts at the moment. I do have a lot of scraps though and I enjoy the freedom and the make do side of it. The idea is it stops me buying new fabric. Stop laughing.

My log cabin blocks are multiplying since the two I showed you in January, but I doubt this will be finished by the middle of the year since I want it bigger than my postage stamp quilt!

The Row by Row quilt is now a complete top! I need to baste and quilt.

The dreaded Hello Chevron top is now exactly halfway pieced after adding two more rows at the last MQG meeting. Yes I only managed two rows all day, I have no idea why I didn’t do better! I’ve started skipping the trimming step too as it’s driving me mad…

I have some other bee quilt tops (three!) waiting to be basted, plus some half done Cathedral Windows destined to be a cushion but I really can’t face those yet. We will revisit that drawer next quarter. I also have at least two quilts to make for pitching to magazines as I’ve not done that for a month or two, a birthday cushion this month and there will be three blocks over this quarter for the BOM so it’s not like I don’t have enough there to get on with!

Finish Along 2014

1. Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Your Postage Stamp quilt is amazing.

2. Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

The postage stamp quilt top is amazing…hard for me to imagine working with all of those little pieces but then I continued to be amazed as I scrolled down and saw so many more lovely projects.

Beautiful work! 🙂

3. Posted April 2, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

The applique blocks are gorgeous and that’s a good lot of projects to be getting on with! 🙂

4. Posted April 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

You definitely put me to shame! That’s a lovely list of projects for the next quarter and loving the applique ones so far. I’ll happily do your HSTS as I love them just a shame too far away!

5. Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Love your applique blocks and your dedication on the postage stamp quilt is definitely paying off. It looks really lovely up on the design wall already!

6. Posted April 2, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I just joined a postage stamp swap..my first- and am swapping 100 2.5″ squares with 9 other ladies…should have them next week! I am not sure what design I was going to use, but the black background one you have up there is pretty cool.. i was thinking white, but why not black? Thanks for the inspiration!

7. Posted April 2, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Great list! I love your dress and the applique and I’m intrigued to discover how your postage stamp quilt is going to evolve 🙂

8. Posted April 2, 2014 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Love that postage stamp quilt! I am thinking of starting one myself soon.

9. Posted April 2, 2014 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

That is some gorgeouuuss appliqué!

10. Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Good list, but the word you’re looking for in #2 is muslin ;o)

11. Posted April 3, 2014 at 8:22 am | Permalink

I know what the plan is! I know! I can’t wait to see it, Kerry. Your list is a real stunner – such different projects to keep you interested. This was a nice peek into your sewing room 🙂

12. Posted April 3, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Wow that’s a lot of WIPs! They must keep you busy. I love the rows quilt–those colors on black is so pretty!

13. Posted April 3, 2014 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

That’s an impressive list! The applique blocks are gorgeous……good luck with them all. Maybe you need to set your alarm for 10mins earlier in the morning?!

14. Posted April 5, 2014 at 6:20 am | Permalink

That post stamp quilt is scrap-fabulous. What a great collection of wip’s.

15. Posted April 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Kerry, you are sew very talented! I love your applique and that Postage Stamp quilt is going to be absolutely stunning! I’ve really enjoyed my visit to your blog and will be back soon x