WIP Wednesday – Scrappy Special

My finish along list included a plan to make a scrappy log cabin quilt big enough for a bed. I’m now aiming for a 7 blocks x 7 blocks layout so I’ve made a bit of progress and now two blocks have become this…

I’m finding it a little bit dull again so I’m going to put it aside again. Now what I should be doing is finishing theHello Chevron quilt, and yes I have added two more rows making the top half done now, but if I did that I’d have nothing on my finish along list for the next quarter ;) With this in mind, I’ve started the quilt I will be entering in the Festival of Quilts this year. I can’t get much further though without making a decision. Do I trapunto my entire design so the actual feature (clue: it’s a face) is within the quilting, almost like a magic eye puzzle, or do I make it a lot more overt and appliqué the design all in black over the top? Either way the background is made up of scrappy squares I have collected for a little while now, and here’s a square I made up by randomly selecting and stitching this morning.

If I choose the appliqué route, I need to factor this in to my design as there’s no point covering a nice piece of fabric entirely so I will be stitching muslin squares where it won’t be visible. What would you do? I need to decide now because I’m having too much fun just randomly stitching these together to stop!

1. Posted March 19, 2014 at 11:25 am | Permalink

EEEE! I can’t wait to see what you’re making with a face on it! I’m not at all the person to ask for advice here – I wouldn’t be willing to do either option :) I’m sure it’s going to be amazing no matter what path you take.

Loving the log cabins – it’s going to be a beautiful quilt. I think they’re a bit boring/time-consuming to make, though. Just a small bit at a time and you’ll have a top faster than you realize!

2. Posted March 19, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I think I would applique the design on it like you have suggested.

3. Posted March 19, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Love your scrappy log cabins!

4. Posted March 19, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I like the idea of the design being in the actual quilting but either sounds great. I love the log cabin too.

5. Posted March 19, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I would say, if your enjoying whizzing through the squares go with the trapunto method. Although I have to agree with Cindy, both methods scare me!!! Can’t wait to see the face!
    LOVE the log cabins!

6. Posted March 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Love the Log Cabins! So happy and of course, scraps are always awesome!

7. Posted March 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Love the animals hiding in your background squares – would be shame to cover them up!

8. Posted March 19, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

So let me get this straight, in order that you didn’t have an empty list for next quarter, you started a new project. Uh huh. ;)

I’m all for including muslin for the hidden squares, as long as you know where they are!

9. Posted March 20, 2014 at 5:38 am | Permalink

Love the scrappy log cabins. So bright and fun.