iPhone Inspired Cushion

I managed another finish from my Q1 list this weekend, my cushion…

cushion

Inspired by this icon on my phone…

image

It’s made with EPP, I clipped and glued the curves like I would with applique pieces but to the paper on the underside and then pulled the paper out after sewing it to the background, by cutting a hole underneath and pulling them all out. You can’t really see the quilting too well, so this is what the inside looked like, not bad for just making it up as I went along I feel.

cushion inside

I didn’t take a pic of the back but it has some Kaffe Fassett going on (“I thought you only used ugly fabrics for the backs of quilts, not cushions?” said the OH, whose favourite recent fabrics are the Kaffe Fassett woven stripes) and an exposed purple zip (“Can’t you make a flap to cover the zip?” said the OH, innocently, then I pointed out that I have done that several times before and just chose not to this time).

I had a bit of a disagreement with the piping. Note to self and all, don’t attempt 1/4″ piping, there’s just no margin for error!

So that’s two down, and the moose quilt will be next! Oh and I sold my Pfaff machine!

BTW just to clarify on my last post, I need to order the swatches from Spoonflower to be able to sell them so I’ve decided it really doesn’t count (I don’t do anything with them anyway but check the colours, they’re only 8″ square)!

Finish Along 2014

1. Posted February 3, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Love this cushion Kerry! I thought it looked kind of familiar when I saw it on IG and now I see why!!!! Inspiration really is everywhere 🙂 x

2. Posted February 3, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

This cushion is gorgeous! Great idea to use that phone design 🙂

3. Jeannie D in TN
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

WOW! I’m so impressed and inspired! You have a great eye

4. Posted February 3, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Love this Kerry, it’s gorgeous!! Really fun & happy!

5. Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Fab cushion and well done on selling your machine :o)

6. Posted February 3, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Totally love that cushion!!! such a good idea!

7. Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Damnit woman, I still haven’t finished one lol Looks great though!

8. Flying Blind
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Love the front of the cushion, at least!
    Well done on the sale

9. Posted February 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Love it – looks really gorgeous.

10. Posted February 4, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Love it! Very clever!

11. Posted February 4, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

it looks great! I didn’t know you were one of those EPP people! I thought you hung on to your sanity?

12. Jamie
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

This is an amazing pillow! What an awesome job you did taking that image and translating it into a pillow design!

How funny your husband is the quilt police at your house…mine also has an opinion about everything I make and when I take his advice he always says “make sure you write on your blog that I am the wizard behind your creations.”

One Trackback

1. […] at dinner that night, numbering the labels so I wouldn’t mix them up.  I’ve since seen another quilter try her hand at this.  I had thought to piece it, but now I think I’ll appliqué it by […]