The first finish of 2014!

I was too impatient to wait a day longer for daylight, so here it is, the finished Giant Churn Dash quilt! I used a lot of the charm squares from the LV swap from before Christmas but still have a lot left over. I think I have this out of my system now, so if anyone is interested in doing a swap for some LV squares and keeping me on the straight and narrow for the fabric fast, I’m taking offers! I love swaps as it feels like I’m still buying fabric when it comes through the post, I just don’t factor in that I have posted out too 😉

Look Ange, I already put that hideous sheet you gave me earlier in the month to good use! I used facings for binding as I often do as I like the no-borders look.

STATS
Size – 52″ x 52″
Number of blocks – I see it as 36x 8″ blocks, but you might prefer 4x 24″ blocks. With a border.
Time to piece – About 6 hours
Time to quilt – 2 hours approx
Fabric – Bold prints are all Mixteca by Eleanor Grosch, plus a scrappy mix of LV prints.
Backing Fabric – Hideous 80s(?) old sheet, donated to me by Ange as she knows how much I like to use thrifted sheets for backs as I am a skinflint…
Binding Fabric – Same hideous sheet, facings method.
Threads – Coats Moon off white. The piecing was done in a multitude of different low bobbins I wanted emptying.
Batting – 80/20 Soft and Elegant (as are most of my quilts these days)
Quilting- Continuous spiral out from centre.

That’s the first of the finish along finishes!

Finish Along 2014

1. Posted January 31, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Well done! That’s looking great even the vintage sheet back (don’t hit me but I rather like it…)
    Shoot… shame I probably don’t have much you after in swaps! As I’ll happily take the rest.

2. Posted January 31, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

It’s lovely!

3. Patti
    Posted January 31, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Love your Churn Dash! That’s the first block I learned to make 30 years ago! I need to get out and search for sheets because yours is perfect for the job it’s doing!

4. Posted January 31, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

I love your giant churn blocks.
    Di x

5. Posted January 31, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

first of all, you and Ms Ange need putting straight. That sheet is Vintage and anything Vintage is gorgeous, amazing and completely covetable. You must adore the Vintage at all times, collect it, show it off on social media and like all posts of other people’s Vintageness. Not my own personal opinion, but that of a hell of a lot of bloggers it would seem…

Secondly, I really like this, love the giantness of the blocks.

thirdly, isn’t a facing that thing inside my collar?

6. Posted January 31, 2014 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Well done on your big finish, and glad the vintage/ugly sheet could be of assistance to you! :o)

7. Flying Blind
    Posted January 31, 2014 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Well done!

8. Posted February 1, 2014 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Yay finishes, and great front! Glad you could save Ange from that sheet too 😉

9. Posted February 1, 2014 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Your churn dash and turned out beautifully – I love the way you’ve combined those bright and lighter prints! And I like your hexi crochet cover too 🙂

10. Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Beautiful! I actually quite like that vintage sheet but then I’m one of those vintage nuts Wendy mentioned! You had any takers for your lv scraps yet? Although I doubt I’d have anything you’d want x