Stash!

I’m off work today but after having fallen asleep whilst watching Craftsy class videos yesterday (not for the first time, I am like an old lady) I was up bright and early as usual for a weekday. By 8am I have spent over an hour sorting out my fabric scraps into colour. It’s been long awaited. But look what I found in there right at the bottom…

lightning bug heather ross

Yep that’s a bit of Heather Ross Lightning Bugs dog print and I have no recollection of where this is from… Anyone want it? I’m looking to swap for a small piece of the goldfish print, an 8″x8″ square is ideally what I’m after for a future project as I’ve still not found any, but a smaller piece is good too and probably more of a balanced swap since this is a weird shape. Just let me know if you want to trade.

So my drawers are all tidy now- I need to be able to find my greens quickly for the plan I have for the Forest QAL. I could do with some more of those Ikea divider thingys but the bags are kind of working for now.

Yesterday the brown cometh! I ordered some modern brown fabrics from Pink Castle (and some greens as I’m a bit low on those too) for the brown modern quilt. I’m back to not really knowing what to do with these again because I’ve gone off my original idea but I’m sure inspiration will come back. ┬áHere’s the total stack of browns I’ll be using…

And then this morning my delivery from The Village Haberdashery’s 50% discount flash sale came through the letterbox.

The big piece of Cosmos will be to make a dress, the other two are just for my stash and I missed out on the Tula Pink fabric I added to my cart because so many people went sale mad, it took ages for me to checkout so I’m pretty pleased I got what I did!

Oh and I almost forgot, my quilt came back from the show and I got my judges marks too. Much kinder than FoQ so I’ve photographed them, put them here and thrown them away now. I got a few Excellents and only one “needs attention” for the way it hung which I think was very generous of the other two judges because it was awful. One judge didn’t give me anything less than good for any of it and I didn’t even have to pay them. If anyone has any advice for squaring up quilt tops, please let me know, I really need work in that area!

DSCF5666 DSCF5667 DSCF5668

1. Beth T.
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Kerry, I just came across some of the goldfish print in my stash, and would be glad to swap with you. If you’d like to send me a note, we can work out the details.

2. Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Those are lovely judging comments, I really like your quilt. I generally spread the quilt on a table with none of it pulling over the edge (the floor would work better), and then move the mat and longest ruler along one edge after first squaring the corner then the next, keeping the corners squared and measuring off the piecing too as I move along. I am always so amazed when I fold the quilt after it is bound and it is so nice and square. If you want me to describe this better, let me know.

3. Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Congraulations on the judges feedback – must have felt good! Did you see Oh Fransons modern brown quilt on IG (she’s Elizabethagh there), might be good for inspiration? Well done on sorting out your scraps x

4. Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Do you square up the backing before sandwiching the piece and quilting it?

5. Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Great feedback from the judges! Congrats!

6. Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

I was wondering when the quilts would be back, not received mine yet! :o(. Was it royal mail or a courier company? They’re pretty good comments, don’t think i’ll be airing mine, i’m sure they wont be so friendly!!! There are some lovely prints in your pooh coloured selection, I even like some of them!!!!!!! ;O). x

7. Posted May 9, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Excellent scoring! And well deserved. Don’t tell Ange, but some of those browns are nice.

8. Posted May 9, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Yay on the feedback! I picked mine up on the day, but never got any feedback :(

9. Posted May 10, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

How can you lose Heather Ross in your stash, woman?!? I have serious envy if those are the wee gems you find. Well done on the Village Habdash stuff, too. The site kept freezing when I was on. Just as well, maybe. LOVE the brown bundle! And what great judges remarks. It was a cracking quilt, though!

10. Tanya
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

oooo the comments are good – well done you. Looking forward to seeing the modern brown quilt x

11. Posted May 12, 2013 at 1:46 am | Permalink

OMG – is that a little basset hound on that print???? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! i have two bassets of my own. I’ll have to search around to see if i can find that anywhere. I’m afraid I don’t have any goldfish to swap for.