Plants and animals

This year I’ve decided the garden needs to be pretty. Everytime we’ve had flowers, the birds have eaten them or they’ve died. I forget about this when I buy annuals that they don’t just come back. Last year I bought a Laurentia and it lasted a month or two. Thankfully I got seeds from it and have now got a plant ready to put back in the garden come April (I don’t plant out in March unless it’s a hardy annual, we had a frost only this morning) plus a ton more seeds should I want to grow more.

I don’t actually know much about plants, but I have carefully read some seed packets. Our garden is mostly in shade and it’s mostly a rockery so I plan to get a pot or two for “pretty” plants and I also bought some alpines to fill the gaps in the rockery. I have sown French Marigolds (annuals!), Nigella (love in a mist- ARGH more annuals!), and my new favourite thing- dahlias (yey perennials!). At least with the annuals if I like them I can collect the seeds, if I don’t I can swap them about next year for something else, especially if I find that all our plants are blue like I did the year before last. I’ve also put some wild flower seed in the vegetable patch as I don’t plan to use it this year.

I’ve got a dahlia tuber to play with as well, I wonder how many plants I will get? I am new to tubers (except of the potato variety) so having to do some background reading.

Anyway less of my learning-to-garden stuff… have you seen this new quiltalong? I really couldn’t resist this one, despite my vow not to make quilts from anything other than my own patterns and bee blocks (except existing WIPS) this year.

The Forest Quilt Along is all paper piecing, all animals, birds and plants. 12 12″ blocks in total. The first block is a woodpecker and it’s available now.

I’m going to go and subscribe to all of the blogs now so I don’t miss a pattern.

1. Laura
    Posted March 5, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Do you want to come and do my garden?

2. Posted March 5, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Oh, crap, that quilt along looks amazing!!! Must. Resiiist!

You know Nigella will self-seed? So as long as you leave the seeds to properly …..er…….go seedy, you will have love-in-a-mist again next year with no effort! They are one of my favourite annuals coz they are easy-peasy! I have a shady north facing garden, too, so they should be fine.

3. Posted March 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I am crap at gardening, other than pruning and/or killing.

4. Posted March 5, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I can’t be any help on the flower gardening front, sorry, my gardening motto is “if I can’t eat it, I don’t plant it” it’s a lazy gardening attitude i know, and i would like a little low maintenance flower garden, but i just don’t have the energy for it yet. Love the woodpecker for the QAL, it looks pretty complicated, but fab, looking forward to seeing your finished block. :)

5. Posted March 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Hi Kerry! Great to see your plants ready to go out! I get exited always in spring but then I don’t have enough time to take care of them. We have so hot and dry that all the energy goes to the watering. Also very rocky ground. Wow – paper pieced animals sounds perfect! Only paper piecing takes much time. Thank you for the links! x Teje

6. Posted March 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Kerry, I saw the woodpecker – amazing! Looks very challenging but I hope to find time to try! Thanks!

7. Posted March 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I’m useless at gardening, but I can tell you that if it grows your Dahlia tuber will produces tons of flowers. Because they are so easy, they are the only thing that I willingly grow in the flower garden, I’m hoping that last years tubers will sprout again this year x

8. Posted March 5, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Good luck with the pretty garden – my gardening is all about “what will survive with NO ATTENTION WHATSOEVER”… Am more black handed than green…
    OMG that qal looks amazing. Will never get round to doing any of those blocks and have faaaaar too many on my to do list… but I’ll follow and download any available patterns…lol its soooo cool!!!