Tutorial: Cushion Pads

When you make a cushion, chances are you want an inner with a removable cover so it can be washed. Why spend a fiver on a cushion pad when you can make your own? This tutorial is pretty self explanatory, and can be adapted to different shapes and sizes. I’m going to give you details for making a bolster cushion inner in a later post- I really could do with one of those!

Muslin is good enough for this- you’ll find a lot of ready made cushion pads are made from even thinner stuff. Muslin is nice and cheap, and toy stuffing always comes in a huge bag when you only need a small bit for a project. So this means I’ve got a new cushion pad for almost no cost at all!

YOU WILL NEED
Two pieces of muslin 1/2″ bigger than the finished size, mine is a 16″ finished cushion and the pieces are 16 1/2″ x 16 1/2″
Toy stuffing
A sewing machine is handy to have

Sew the squares together with a 1/4″ seam around 3 1/2 of the sides leaving half a side open.

Clip the stitched corners and turn inside out.

Fill with toy stuffing. IIf you like a plump cushion, put loads in, it’s up to you how big you make it!

Squish the stuffing away from the opening .Sew the opening shut with a running stitch, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Use pins to keep it together if yours is a fat cushion and remove them before your needle reaches them.

Ta da! My homemade one is at the front, the ready made one is behind it, see the difference?

1. Posted October 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Yours looks much better! I think I shall do this, the next time I need some cushions!!

2. Mrs M
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I have almost a whole bag of stuffing that is just sitting there. Thanks!

3. Posted October 18, 2012 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Great idea, At least you can control how much stuffing that is in the cushion.

4. Gloria
    Posted April 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Kerry just the tutorial I was looking for. Are there different types of muslin? If so what is best type to use and where did you get your large bag stuffing from?

5. Posted October 7, 2013 at 7:00 am | Permalink

Brilliant and easy to follow instructions! We’ve been making a few cushion covers ourselves but had never thought of creating our own inserts. I’m guessing you could change the filling material as well for those people who wanted something hyper-allergenic or perhaps with a different weight. Great tutorial!

6. Posted January 1, 2015 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Fantastic!
    Just the information I needed and straightforward instructions too!

7. Sam
    Posted January 16, 2016 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Perfect, straightforward tutorial! Thank you! 🙂

8. Jean
    Posted June 20, 2016 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Hi Penny

Many thanks for such a straightforward instructions. I have been battling to find some info on making your own pads. I gave spent money on pads that are not filled to the requirements of my projects, then having to spend additional money for the stuffing to pump my cushions up. This way more sense and will save “on the pennies”. As I make so many cushions of difervent sizes and shapes, this is an ideal option for me.

I will pop to my haberdashery shop and get the materials for my cushions pads. Greatly appreciate your easy to follow instructions with pics.